Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Fashion diva already??????

I sent Aly to get dressed a little while ago. I stopped by her room a few minutes later to see if she had found anything yet. She hadn't so I grabbed a pair of denim shorts for her to put on. She did, and while she was removing her night shirt, I grabbed a shirt out of the top drawer for her to put on. It was your basic pink shirt...a play shirt...nothing fancy...to go with her denim shorts.

As she reached for the shirt, she looked at me with utter disbelief and with as much drama as she could muster said, "This is it?!!!!! This is what you want me to wear?!!!!" A little confused, I replied, "Um...yes? Do you have a problem with this shirt?" she let out a heavy sigh, slapped her hand to her forehead and began shaking her head back and forth. "MOM...this shirt is PINK! There is no BLUE in it anywhere! My shorts are BLUE jeans!!!" I said, "Aly...they are denim...they go with anything!" to which she replied, "MOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM (as if to note that she can't believe her mother is so ignorant!!!) they are BLUE!!"

(note: those of you who know me know that I will put up with attitude for about a half second...so rest assured she was not throwing off a 'tude...she was just expressing something so far beyond where i thought we were at four years old!!!!)

At this point I am blinking my eyes rather quickly...thinking back through the events of the morning, wondering where I started the black out that mysteriously transported me forward in time so as to better understand that this could not POSSIBLY be my FOUR year old saying this to me!!! Surely I missed a HUGE chunk of time and this is my EIGHT year old!!!!!

I was utterly and thoroughly thrown off my game. I folded the shirt and put it back in the drawer and pulled out another that had tiny tiny little blue flowers mixed in with the other assorted colors, etc. I held it up and said, "Um...would this do?" she smiled that stunning smile and said, "Yes, Mom...that is much better!!! Thanks!!"


my little fashionista apparently on her way to see the Queen!!!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well...DUH, Mom! I mean, like, c'mon already! Pink was SO ten minutes ago--helllOOO!

Can't wait to see what you're in for in about 10 years. **grin** Just because I'm suffering through a phase where my DD thinks black is da bomb and every shirt she owns is black, I think other moms ought to experience the joys of living with a fashioista primadona!

Hugs and prayers!--Carol G.

Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH!! She sounds soo much like my daughter at that age and NOW (she's 8). LOL I had a total flashback! :0)

a Tonggu Momma said...

Hah!!! We get that here with the Tongginator, too, although her taste runs towards plaids and stripes together, which means she is SO not as sophisticated as Aly.

prechrswife said...

Uh, oh...and it begins... :-)